Wednesday, November 28, 2012

How to: Lasting lipstick!


Sorry it's been a few weeks since my last post, but I've been busy with work and some surprises from out of town friends!

Something that I get asked a lot is how I get my lipstick colour to last on my lips. 


You can buy long wear lip colour, but often times they dry out the lips and are very flaky, here's my favourite way to make my lipstick last longer than normal: 

Make sure you always start out with moisturized lips. The photo below is Burt's Bees Grapefruit flavour (which I sneakily peeled the label off of.)





Here it is, on my lips! (I'm really glad I don't have black moustache hairs)

Then, what I like to do is take some concealer and really rub it onto my lips. This will give your lipstick something to stick to, and also makes the colour more vibrant.


Here I have NYX Concealer in a Jar in the shade #03 Light ($7.99 CAD) and Benefit's Boi-ing in shade #02 ($22 CAD). Both are cream concealers which tend to be a little more tacky than a liquid concealer.


Here are my lips with Boi-ing on them. I usually rub the concealer in pretty well, otherwise it will make your lipstick too creamy.

Next you'll need some tissue, a small precision brush and of course - a lipstick colour! Today I am going to wear MAC's Russian Red ($18 CAD) because I think it's wearable all year round and a perfect colour to rock at your next Christmas party.



The precision brush I am using is by ELF ($3 CAD)


To start off, take a small amount of your lipstick onto the brush and really rub it into your lips. Don't worry about getting the shape right, just really get the lipstick pushed into your lips.


Here's what it looks like after the first application. Then, take a tissue and blot off any excess colour. For those of you who don't know what blotting is, it looks something like this: 


Now it's time for the second coat of colour. Repeat what we just did. Take a little lipstick on your brush and really work it into the lips for a second time. Once you get the lipstick worked in, blot again! 


This is what my lips look like after a second coat. 
For your third coat, you want to concentrate more on the shape of the lips, as you can tell from my lips - not everyone's are evenly shaped!

So, take some lipstick on your brush and really focus on trying to make your lips as even as possible, sometimes even standing away from a mirror will help. 


As you can tell, my lips look very even and the colour looks wonderful! This method of putting on lipstick is great! After applying this I grabbed a Second Cup coffee and walked to work and although some lipstick transferred to the cup, you couldn't tell by looking at my lips!

I hope you give this a go to see if it helps your lipstick last longer!! And don't be afraid to go for a bold colour!




Thank you for reading! Leave a comment if you have a request, or any questions! 

-ellewar 

No comments:

Post a Comment