Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A few of my Drugstore Favourites

Being the makeup collector that I am, I come across a lot of products not worth the money. Here are a few affordable products that I certainly think are worth the money and some that I reach for on a daily basis.

Favourite products definitely vary from person to person - so keep in mind that this is just my opinion.

Here are a few, but not all, of my cosmetic drugstore favourites.


Below are Revlon Lip Butters ($10.99 CAD) .. They are wonderful when you want to add a bit of colour to the lip without wearing a full blown lip colour. They are very moisturizing and come in 20 different shades. I will say that there is not a lot of product in the tube, so they do run out fast. The colours I have are 090 Sweet Tart (the pink one) and 035 Candy Apple.

I also love the shades Raspberry Pie and Red Velvet. Try them out if you want to get into wearing lipstick, but just aren't ready yet.


Now, if you're looking for the opposite of Lip Butters you might want to try out the Covergirl Lip Perfection lipstick ($10.99 CAD). These are highly pigmented, longwearing lipsticks and I love them! They're not lipsticks you can just put on without a mirror, and they stain quite well so avoid getting them on other parts of your body.

I have them in the shades Euphoria (burgundy shade, which is a dupe for Mac's Rebel) and Hot (red shade). Hot has become a go to red colour for me because of how long it lasts on the lips. Definitely great lipsticks to take for a night out!


Next are the Maybelline Color Tattoo 24hr eyeshadows ($9.99 CAD)
I love wearing these alone when I don't feel like putting effort into my makeup, or underneath eyeshadows as a base.

The shade below is called 25 Bad to the Bronze. Although they don't last for 24 hours, they definitely last me about 8.


Basically an every day staple for me is the L'Oreal Infallible Lacquer Liner 24H ($12.99 CAD). I wear this almost every day because it glides on amazingly well. If you're not sure how to apply gel liner you can check out my post here.

It also comes with a fancy brush!

This, along with the Maybelline gel liner, are comparable to Bobbi Brown and to Mac. I'll save the $15 thanks!


Next is the Maybelline the Falsies Volume Express ($9.99 CAD, but I got it on sale for $3.99)

This mascara is one of my all time favourites. I always have a back up of it in my make up vanity, and right now I'm waiting for my other mascara to be finished so that I can use this one :)

It lasts on the lashes all day, doesn't chip down and it holds a curl amazingly well! 


Below is the Covergirl Liquiline Blast Liner ($12.99). Obviously mine has seen better days, but it's awesome when you're in a rush and want to pop on a little liner. It glides on smoothly and doesn't print on the top of my lids (which is a huge problem for me.)

This one is the shade 420 Brown Blaze (lol) and it's a perfect liner for every day. It has a great little smudger on the end too! It lasts much longer than other drug store liners I've tried.


Next is my beloved Rimmel Stay Matte powder ($7.99 CAD) in the shade 001 Transparent.
This is my go to powder because it does exactly what I want it to do. It keeps me shine free for most of the day and it doesn't add colour to my face.

You can purchase a translucent powder from almost every company, but in my opinion I'm not going to shell out the money for something twice the price that does about the same, if not worse.


Next are these Quo lashes ($7.99 CAD), let's be clear, just these ones (style 814.) I am not a huge fan of the Quo lashes but the shape of these particular ones are beautiful. They are very doll-like and add a very glamorous look to your eyes. They are a pretty good dupe for Benefit's Big Spender lashes (if you don't want to spend the 20-something-dollars for those.)


A go-to eyeshadow palette of mine is definitely 249 Vanity by Wet n Wild ($5.99 CAD)
I love it because I get great use out of the top two colours and it has a fantastic maroon colour in it that is definitely ~on trend~ right now. I reach for this when I travel because there aren't many other colours I would use for an every day look.


Some brushes that I use every single day without fail are the elf cosmetic brushes. I bought a 14-piece elf brush set from Winners for about $16.99 CAD and I never looked back. These brushes are comparable quality to Sigma make up brushes and even to Mac.

I reach for the Complexion and Blush brushes every day because they have never shed a hair on my face. I highly recommend these brushes for beginners and for pros.


The Essence lash & brow gel is my favourite brow gel. Especially because it's $1.99 CAD and does the same thing as an expensive brow gel. I use it to keep my brows in place all day. I don't think I will ever bother to try out another eye gel.


One of my favourite drug store nail polishes are the Revlon Colorstay longwear enamels ($8.99 CAD) because they are really long wearing! They come in a wide variety of colours and they last about 5 days on my nails without chipping. 

Below is the shade 040 Provence.


Lastly on my list is the Quo brush cleaner ($6.99 CAD) - it keeps my brushes clean in between washing, I don't feel the need to buy a $20 brush cleaner that does the same thing. It does the job, it's inexpensive and it lasts a long time.


Thank you SO much for reading! Please let me know below if there is anything you want me to write about! And please subscribe to my blog, if you have a gmail account it's super easy!

Comment below and tell me your drugstore favourites!!

-ellewar

(Keep your eyes peeled for a giveaway in the near future! You have to be a subscriber to enter!)

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Might have to try a few of these :)

    My favourite recent drug store find was Maybelline Illegal Length Fiber Extensions mascara. It doesn't really seem to add any volume, but it definitely adds length, with sometimes comically effective results.

    ReplyDelete